This article describes the lift and move migration of a workload from HP-UX to Azure. HP-UX is HP's Unix operating system for PA-RISC servers and workstations. The article shows how the emulator software called Charon-PAR from Microsoft partners worksEstromasisyou can run HP-UX workloads on Azure.
Charon-PAR runs on Azure and emulates PA-RISC systems for HP-UX. On this virtual system (Azure Virtual Machines), you install the Charon host operating system (Linux), the Charon emulator software, and its legacy operating system (HP-UX) and associated applications. This configuration allows you to run an unmodified HP-UX application or workload in an emulation environment on a virtual machine in Azure. The virtual system behaves as if it were using the real hardware.
Charon-PAR software runs on Linux Azure virtual machines because Charon-PAR requires a Linux host. Charon-PAR emulates the PA-RISC processor architecture. HP-UX workloads run on these emulated PA-RISC systems.
HP-UX workloads can reside on the managed solid-state drive (SSD) disk of the host Azure VM.
One or more host network interface controllers (NICs) can be associated with the guest operating system. You can do this by dedicating physical NICs to the guest operating system. Each HP-UX virtual machine gets its own network interface from Azure, so it has its own dedicated private IP address. This host-specific network interface is typically used within the Charon configuration for dedicated use by guest workloads.(Video) The Register, Azure, & Stromasys present legacy server emulation as a bridge to app modernization
Optionally, you can easily configure Azure public IP addresses on the same network interfaces. There should always be dedicated network interfaces for the guest operating system. A network interface is assigned to the host. PA9-32 720 allows only one network interface, but PA9-64 allows multiple network interfaces dedicated to the guest operating system.
Users can connect directly to HP-UX virtual machines through Secure Shell (SSH) (if the HP-UX version supports SSH). These virtual machines have their own network interface cards and dedicated IP addresses.
File shares for Linux VM mounted Azure storage accounts allow mapping of the Charon-PAR virtual tape manager to a locally mounted device backed by a cloud Azure Files storage account. This mapping enables cost-effective storage of archived tapes for regulatory and compliance purposes.
- Azure virtual machinesprovides scalable compute resources on demand on Azure. An Azure virtual machine gives you the flexibility of virtualization without having to buy and maintain physical hardware. Azure virtual machines offer a choice of operating systems, including Windows and Linux.
- red virtual azulit is the fundamental component of private networks in Azure. Virtual networks allow Azure resources, such as virtual machines, to communicate with each other, the Internet, and local networks. Azure Virtual Network is like a traditional network in your own data center, but offers the added benefits of scalability, availability, and isolation from Azure infrastructure.
- Azure Virtual Network Interface CardsAllow an Azure virtual machine to communicate with the Internet, Azure, and on-premises resources. As shown in the diagram, you can add additional NICs to a single Azure VM, allowing secondary VMs to have their own dedicated NICs and IP addresses.
- Managed Azure SSD Disksare Azure-managed block-level storage volumes used with Azure virtual machines. Ultra hard drives, premium SSDs, standard SSDs, and standard hard disk drives (HDDs) are available. For this architecture, we recommend Premium SSD or Ultra Disk SSD.
- Azure ExpressRouteallows you to extend your on-premises networks to the Microsoft cloud through a private connection provided by a connectivity provider. You can use ExpressRoute to connect to Microsoft cloud services, such as Azure and Microsoft 365.
- blue storageYblue filesprovide fully managed file shares in the cloud, accessible via the industry standard Server Message Block (SMB) protocol. Azure file shares can be deployed simultaneously from the cloud or on-premises Windows, Linux, and macOS deployments.
- Stromasys Caronte-PARRecreates the PA-RISC virtual hardware layer on industry-standard x86-64 computer systems and virtual machines. The virtual hardware layer is compatible with a range of HP-UX software that runs on it, so no source code or code translation is required. (See a list ofsupported versions.) Charon-PAR is a member of the Stromasys family of cross-platform hardware virtualization products. It is a hardware virtualization layer that runs on Linux on industry standard servers. It emulates a range of legacy 64-bit and 32-bit PA-RISC hardware and enables existing users of these systems to migrate to modern Intel-based server hardware.
This solution works best with Premium SSD or Ultra Disk SSD. We recommend premium SSD hard drives. Azure Ultra SSD managed disks are an option for even higher input/output operations per second (IOPS).
For best performance, we recommend a compute-optimized FX-series virtual machine. You can use the Azure Fs-series for low-end spec servers, but the minimum required for PAR is 3.0 GHz. (3.4 GHz or higher is recommended.) High-end servers require an instance of the FX series.
Often, the evolution and maintenance of business applications stall due to the underlying legacy hardware. Sometimes hardware is no longer supported by the latest updates and integrations, or worse, is no longer supported. Outdated infrastructure for mission-critical applications is a problem. The longer the issue remains unresolved, the greater the risk and cost of mitigation.
These applications may have supported the organization's critical business and have evolved over decades, have been audited and certified, and are well established. Rather than a complex, high-risk re-engineering project, an alternative approach is a low-risk project, where applications are ported without modification to a cheaper, modern platform like Azure using an emulator. Such a project, often calledlift and move, preserves the business functionality of the application and only replaces the hardware, ensuring business continuity.
Running applications with an emulator in the cloud offers many benefits, including security, elasticity, disaster recovery, high availability, and failover. However, the most important advantages are reduced operating costs and ease of maintenance. No risky migration projects or changes to the operating system or middleware are required. Server virtualization on Azure can be the first step toward modernization. Once the workload resides in Azure, you may be able to take advantage of other cloud benefits.
This article describes a migration of a workload from HP-UX to Azure. Shows how Charon-PAR emulator software can run HP-UX workloads on Azure.
The main business ofEstromasisis focused on cross-platform virtualization/server virtualization software that enables owners of legacy HP-UX systems to run their mission-critical applications without modification on new, industry-standard computer systems. Charon products protect existing application investments by allowing customers to continue using their existing applications and business processes. Since everything continues unchanged, no retraining or replacement is required. Charon products dramatically reduce the cost of ownership by reducing computer footprint, power consumption and cooling costs, while eliminating the risks and costs associated with running outdated hardware.
The Stromasys Charon environment offers a significantly higher level of platform stability. For the first time since the early HP-UX systems were introduced, replacing the actual physical server no longer requires changes to the HP-UX software environment. Charon also offers more platform stability and has a virtually unlimited lifespan.
With the continued increase in the use of Azure hosted systems in the typical enterprise environment, the best way to host an HP-UX system in these environments is an emulated HP-UX system hosted on Linux.
The following image illustrates the migration approach recommended in this article:
Benefits of the lift-and-shift migration approach include:
- Azure/Charon customers can continue to use existing critical applications without the cost of rewriting, porting, migrating or retraining.
- Maintenance costs are reduced as these applications are moved to emulated systems hosted in Azure.
Possible use cases
- Enable seamless migration of on-premises HP-UX workloads running on PA-RISC server machines to Azure.
- Continue to use HP-UX applications running on legacy PA-RISC servers without modification, but remove applications from old hardware and continue to provide users with the same or better interfaces.
- Manage multiple server hosts and child virtual machines from a single interface.
- Use low-cost Azure storage to archive tapes for regulatory and compliance purposes.
- Migrate a database to the cloud and run your application in the cloud through emulation without modification.
These considerations implement the pillars of the Azure Well-Architected Framework, which is a set of principles that you can use to improve the quality of a workload. For more information, seeMicrosoft Azure Well-Architected Framework.
Security provides protection against deliberate attacks and misuse of your valuable data and systems. For more information, seeSecurity Pillar Summary.
- This solution uses an Azure NSG to manage traffic between Azure resources. For more information, seenetwork security groups.
- For added security, consider using Azure Bastion. Azure Bastion maximizes access security for administrators by minimizing open ports. It provides secure and seamless RDP/SSH connectivity to network virtual machines directly from the Azure portal via TLS.
Cost optimization is about reducing unnecessary expenses and improving operational efficiency. For more information, seeOverview of the cost optimization pillar.
Azure eliminates unnecessary costs by identifying the right number of resource types, analyzing, and scaling spend over time to meet business needs without overspending. With Azure, for example, you pay as you go. When you don't need workloads, you can shut them down to save money. You can start Charon-PAR as a service manually or automatically when you start the Azure VM. You can stop the service manually or automatically when the host system shuts down. Make sure to always shut down the guest OS (HP-UX) first, then the emulator (Charon), and then the host virtual machine. When you start the system, proceed in reverse order. Here are some other cost optimization considerations:
- blue filesThe price depends on many factors: data volume, data redundancy, transaction volume, and the number of file sync servers you use.
- blue storageCosts depend on your data redundancy configurations and your volume.
- Virtual machines in this architecture use premium SSDs or ultra-disk SSDs. For more information, seeManaged Disk Pricing.
- ForExpressRoute, you pay a monthly connection fee and data transfer fees.
To estimate the cost of Azure products and configurations, use theAzure Pricing Calculator. For more information on Stromasys related products and services, visitStromasys website.
Operational excellence encompasses the operational processes that deliver an application and keep it running in production. For more information, seeGeneral vision of the pillar of Operational Excellence..
For proactive control and management, consider usingAzure-Monitorto monitor Azure services hosting migrated HP-UX workloads.
Performance efficiency is the ability of your workload to scale efficiently to meet user demands. For more information, seeOverview of the energy efficiency pillar.
At least one CPU core is required for the host operating system and two cores per emulated CPU. This solution works best withAzure virtual machines optimized for compute. Compute-optimized virtual machines have a high CPU to memory ratio. HeSerie FXVirtual Machine is a new addition to the F Series. For best performance, we recommend an FX Series Virtual Machine. It is designed for high-frequency computing workloads. It features a base frequency of 3.4 GHz and an all-core turbo clock speed of up to 4.0 GHz. We recommend the FX series for high-end HP-UX workloads.
Fx-series virtual machines come with 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB of local SSD per CPU core.
This article is managed by Microsoft. It was originally written by the following contributors.
- Sunnyma Ghosh| Senior Program Manager
- mich alberts| technical writer
- Bhaskar Bandam| Senior Program Manager
To view private LinkedIn profiles, sign in to LinkedIn.
- Charon in the blue cloud | stromasis
- Was it an Azure virtual network?
- Linux virtual machines on Azure
- ¿Era Azure ExpressRoute?
- Create a Linux virtual machine in Azure
Contact for more email@example.com.
- Mainframe Migration Overview
- Moving from mainframes to Azure
- Modernize mainframe and midrange data
- Azure mainframe and midrange architecture concepts and patterns
Which Azure compute resource can be deployed to manage a set of identical virtual machines? ›
Virtual machine scale sets are an Azure Stack Hub compute resource. You can use scale sets to deploy and manage a set of identical virtual machines (VMs).Which is the most efficient way for a testing team to save costs on virtual machines on weekends when testers are not at work? ›
Which is the most efficient way for a testing team to save costs on virtual machines on weekends when testers are not at work? Answer : Deallocate virtual machines when they're not in use.Which of the following is a logical unit of Azure services that links to an Azure account? ›
A subscription is a logical grouping of Azure services that is linked to an Azure account. A single Azure account can contain multiple subscriptions.What is Microsoft's cloud delivery platform that offers virtualization based resilient online services? ›
Microsoft Azure offers scalable, highly available and resilient cloud services to organizations, meeting data residency, security and compliance needs.Which types of workload would be most suitable for deployment on Azure virtual machine? ›
Expert-Verified Answer. Microsoft provides Azure Virtual Machines for developing the applications. Every Virtual Machine i.e. balanced CPU to the memory ratio is used for general purpose. These machines are used for running in workloads i.e. graphics, video editing.Which two options can you use to connect Azure virtual networks? ›
- Route via the Internet.
- VNet peering.
- Site-to-site VPN.
- Use self-service management to prevent VM sprawl. ...
- Provide VM templates to ensure right sizing. ...
- Take advantage of tools to monitor performance. ...
- Ensure VM security with appropriate permissions. ...
- Use VPN, multifactor authentication for remote access.
Which Azure service can you use to make sure your virtual machines are running smoothly and without problems? Azure Monitor, Azure Monitor collects and analyzes telemetry data from your virtual machines to provide your with alerts and recommendations for how they are running. What is VNet Peer?Which two Azure services can be used with Azure stack? ›
The Microsoft Azure Stack compromises with a wide variety of Azure services that can be hosted on the on-premises data center such as Azure App Services, Azure Virtual Machines, Azure Functions, and also provides services like Azure Active Directory to manage Azure Stack Identities.Which feature in Azure AD allows you to monitor both Azure and on-premises resources? ›
Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) Connect Health provides robust monitoring of your on-premises identity infrastructure. It enables you to maintain a reliable connection to Microsoft 365 and Microsoft Online Services.
Which Azure services are considered to be PaaS Azure AD? ›
Like IaaS, PaaS includes infrastructure—servers, storage, and networking—but also middleware, development tools, business intelligence (BI) services, database management systems, and more. PaaS is designed to support the complete web application lifecycle: building, testing, deploying, managing, and updating.What is the difference between virtual machine and virtual desktop in Azure? ›
When looking at VDI vs VM, their difference is that a VM is a virtualized computing environment functioning as a traditional physical computer with its own CPU, memory, storage, and network interface whilst VDI, on the other hand, leverages VMs to provision and manage virtual desktops and applications.What is the difference between Azure VM and Virtual Desktop? ›
However, you must maintain the VM by performing tasks such as configuring, patching, and installing the software. Azure Virtual Desktop offers many useful features that are ideal for remote work where security is key feature. Azure Virtual Desktop gives you access to Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 software from anywhere.What are two types of virtualization in cloud computing? ›
- Server Virtualization.
- Application Virtualization.
- Network Virtualization.
- Desktop Virtualization.
- Storage Virtualization.
Azure supports three approaches to deploying cloud resources - public, private, and the hybrid cloud.Which 2 ways are used to protect the workload running in virtual machines on a Windows server? ›
There are two main ways to protect workloads with CWPP: Micro-segmentation and bare metal hypervisors. Micro-segmentation: One way to ensure workloads are protected is by implementing a network security technique called micro-segmentation.Which Azure service is designed to run serverless workloads? ›
Create serverless, Kubernetes-based applications using the orchestration capabilities of Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) and AKS virtual nodes, which are built on the open-source Virtual Kubelet project.
- Create a Gateway Subnet. To create a gateway subnet for the CA and the RA/VA hosts, do the following:
- Create Virtual Network Gateway. ...
- Create and Configure vNet for the Other Side. ...
- Configure Gateway Connection. ...
- Configure RA/VA to CA Gateway Connection. ...
- Verify Connections.
- In the search box at the top of the Azure portal, enter Virtual networks in the search box. ...
- Select the virtual network in the list that you want to create a peering for.
- Select Peerings under Settings and then select + Add.
- Enter or select values for the following settings, and then select Add.
Having multiple Azure AD Connect sync servers connected to the same Azure AD tenant is not supported, except for a staging server. It's unsupported even if these servers are configured to synchronize with a mutually exclusive set of objects.
What are 4 ways to secure a virtual machine? ›
- Install only what you need on the host machine. ...
- Isolate each virtual machine you have by installing a firewall. ...
- Ensure that antivirus programs are installed on the virtual machines and kept current with updates. ...
- Utilize strong encryption between the host and virtual machines.
- Establish the meeting's purpose and agenda. ...
- Choose the right technology and test it. ...
- Avoid scheduling hiccups. ...
- Consider privacy. ...
- Check your camera. ...
- Consider your background. ...
- Minimize distracting noises. ...
- Assign roles.
Virtual machines are also susceptible to viruses, malware, and ransomware attacks. These attacks can come from infected VM images or from users without proper security training. Once a VM is infected, it can spread malware across the entire virtual infrastructure without adequate isolation and security controls.Which virtualization strategy is the best? ›
- Ensure system health with vSphere monitoring tools. ...
- Integrate VMs and containers for enhanced benefits. ...
- Use hybrid cloud strategies to bridge the on-premises, public cloud gap. ...
- Avoid SDDC security risks to better protect your data. ...
- Prepare for the Windows Server 2008 end of life.
Full virtualization is achieved by using a combination of binary translation and direct execution.How do I optimize my workflow? ›
- Link Your Form to Master Data. One process many companies try to make super-efficient is the Purchase Requisition. ...
- Create Conditional Steps and Branches. ...
- Integrate a Workflow With Other Software. ...
- Dovetail Workflows Together. ...
- Switch Approvals to Notifications.
Azure Arc provides a centralized, unified way to: Manage your entire environment together by projecting your existing non-Azure and/or on-premises resources into Azure Resource Manager. Manage virtual machines, Kubernetes clusters, and databases as if they are running in Azure.Which two operating systems are available on virtual machine builds within Azure? ›
Virtual Machines (VMs) for Linux and Windows. Microsoft Azure.What Azure service would you use to run your virtual machines in an environment that ensures they are isolated from other virtual machines? ›
Dedicated hosts in Azure is a service that provides physical servers that can host one or more virtual machines, and which are dedicated to a single Azure subscription. Dedicated hosts provide hardware isolation at the physical server level. No other VMs will be placed on your hosts.How do I deploy multiple VMs in Azure? ›
- Create up to 100 identical VMs using Azure DevTest Labs. ...
- Automatically create multiple VMs with the same base OS and configuration with Azure Virtual Machine Scale Sets. ...
- Rapidly create VMs using Azure CLI, PowerShell, ARM templates, and managed images.
What is the difference between Azure arc and Azure Stack? ›
With the end-to-end hybrid infrastructure, Azure Stack HCI allows you to modernise on-premises while Azure Arc extends your management and security to Window Server instances. Bringing those together, Windows Admin Center allows you to remotely manage and enable your Azure services.
In addition to the graphical user interface offered at the Azure Portal, we have the ability to manage and interact with Azure via Azure Powershell, Azure Command Line Interface (CLI), Azure Cloud Shell, and the Azure Mobile Application available on iOS and Android platforms.How do I connect my premise ad to Azure AD? ›
- Create a domain in Azure and join it to your on-premises AD forest.
- Create a separate forest in Azure that is trusted by domains in your on-premises forest.
- Replicate an Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) deployment to Azure.
Azure AD Connect sync server.
This service synchronizes information held in the on-premises Active Directory to Azure AD. For example, if you provision or deprovision groups and users on-premises, these changes propagate to Azure AD. For security reasons, Azure AD stores user's passwords as a hash.
Application Insights is an extension of Azure Monitor and provides Application Performance Monitoring (also known as “APM”) features. APM tools are useful to monitor applications from development, through test, and into production in the following ways: Proactively understand how an application is performing.What is the difference between Azure IaaS PaaS and SaaS? ›
IAAS gives access to the resources like virtual machines and virtual storage. PAAS gives access to run time environment to deployment and development tools for application. SAAS gives access to the end user. It is a service model that provides virtualized computing resources over the internet.Is Microsoft Azure SaaS or PaaS? ›
Azure offers five main PaaS service elements: Web apps, Mobile apps, Logic apps, Functions, and Web jobs.Is Azure Service Bus PaaS or SaaS? ›
Azure Service Bus is a Platform as a Service (PaaS) cloud computing service that offers “serverless” messaging. With Azure Service Bus, you don't have to handle backups, patch products or operations systems, manage disk space, place logs, or worry about hardware failures.What is the difference between cloud and a virtualized data center? ›
Virtualization can make 1 resource act like many, while cloud computing lets different departments (through private cloud) or companies (through a public cloud) access a single pool of automatically provisioned resources.What is the difference between instance and virtual machine? ›
You can run multiple virtual machines on a single computer, but when you run virtual machines in the cloud environment, they are known as instances. Running virtual machines on the cloud allows organizations to benefit from the cost effectiveness of sharing and scaling resources.
How many types of VMs are there in Azure? ›
There are 93 memory optimized VMs to choose from for workloads, such as relational database servers and in-memory analytics.What are the major differences between virtual machines VM and Azure container instances for Microsoft Azure cloud? ›
Conclusion Virtual machines and containers differ in several ways, but the primary difference is that containers provide a way to virtualize an OS so that multiple workloads can run on a single OS instance. With VMs, the hardware is being virtualized to run multiple OS instances.What are the 3 types of virtualization? ›
There are three main types of server virtualization: full-virtualization, para-virtualization, and OS-level virtualization.What are the two 2 modes of virtual machine servers operation? ›
Virtual machines may run in one of two main modes, paravirtualized (PVM) or hardware virtualized machine (HVM).Which Azure compute resource can be deployed to manage a set of identical virtual machines quizlet? ›
Which Azure compute resource can you use to deploy to manage a set of identical virtual machines? Virtual machine scale sets. Virtual machine scale sets let you deploy and manage a set of identical virtual machines.What allows for multiple identical virtual machines to be deployed? ›
In order to deploy multiple identical virtual machines which resource should be used? 👨 💬 Virtual Machine Scale Sets is a resource type that enables customers to deploy and manage a set of identical virtual machines using the same image.Which compute service allows you to easily create identical Azure VMs because they are based on the same OS image and configuration? ›
Azure DevTest Labs: Create multiple identical VMs at once from Azure portal.Which cloud deployment model is used for Azure virtual machine? ›
Azure virtual machines are Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). Infrastructure as a Service is the most flexible category of cloud services.Which system in the Azure platform is used to manage identity and access to the services and specific products in your network? ›
Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) is a cloud-based identity and access management service.Can you simultaneously run multiple virtual machines in a single hypervisor? ›
Since a hypervisor is a software layer that enables one host computer to simultaneously support multiple VMs, hypervisors are a key element of the technology that makes cloud computing possible.
Which two virtual machines can you access by using Azure migrate? ›
Azure Migrate appliance: Azure Migrate deploys a lightweight appliance for discovery and assessment of on-premises VMware VMs and Hyper-V VMs. This appliance is used by Azure Migrate Server Assessment, and the Migration and modernization tool for agentless migration.What are 3 types of cloud deployment models? ›
There are four cloud deployment models: public, private, community, and hybrid. Each deployment model is defined according to where the infrastructure for the environment is located. There are three main cloud service models: Software as a Service, Platform as a Service, and Infrastructure as a Service.Which cloud service model allows you to run Azure container instances? ›
AKS. In addition to ACI, Microsoft offers Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), a managed container orchestration service built on the open source Kubernetes system.